Vanessa is a dispute resolution lawyer with a special interest in insolvency. With a proactive approach, ability to think commercially and ‘outside the box’, Vanessa always takes the initiative to achieve best outcomes. She manages insolvency matters in a mature, professional and thorough way. Vanessa’s maturity, demonstrable initiative and strong decision making resulted in her receiving the WIRV (Women in Restructuring and Insolvency Victoria) Young Gun 2018 Award.
- Negotiated a settlement of a proprietary claim on behalf of a liquidator.
- Appeared on behalf of creditors at numerous winding up applications and at hearings of creditor’s petitions, including contested applications.
- Advised liquidators, directors and companies on preference claims and voidable transaction claims.
- Worked on matters involving applications to annul bankruptcies.
- Successfully applied to the Court on behalf of a shareholder to terminate a winding up order.
- Advised a liquidator on competing claims over assets and choses in action.
Areas of expertise
- Preparing and appearing at the hearing of Winding Up Applications and Creditor’s Petitions;
- Providing advice to liquidators on potential avenues of recovery, including voidable transactions;
- Acting on behalf of both liquidators and shareholders of companies in liquidation in relation to applications to terminate the winding up of those companies;
- Providing companies with assistance with debt collections, through both litigation and the use of statutory demands;
- Providing clients with commercial advice regarding the prospects of recovery and the cost of recovery;
- Acting on behalf of builders, developers and manufacturers in construction disputes;
- Acting on behalf of consumers in disputes regarding Australian Consumer Law; and
- Acting on behalf of shareholders in relation to complex disputes and oppression claims.
From our Knowledge Base
The full bench of the High Court of Australia considered an appeal to a point of law on Tuesday 14 May 2019 in Canberra. In the matter of Mann & Anor v. Paterson Constructions Pty Ltd – Case M197/2018, the High Court of Australia has considered a builder’s claim...
Phones, tablets and laptop computers have changed the way we live. Our mobile devices allow us to do almost anything ‘on the go’ – from online banking and working remotely – to online shopping and ordering the (occasional!) Uber eats delivery. Have you ever thought...
Your ‘My Health Record’ is a summary of your health information that can be accessed online by your doctor and other healthcare providers. Did you know that you can decide which healthcare providers can access your My Health Record, as well as what each healthcare...